Thoughts of a Chicana Feminist

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Good friends are hard to come by, but somehow sneek up on me

In 1986, I started school at Davis Junior High School and when I was there I became friends with a girl named Reina. She had striking beauty - perfect hair, a beautiful smile, and an amazing personality. At the time I was a bit shocked that she was friends with me. I was quiet, nerdy, and in full-fledge adolescent awkwardness. Why would such a wonderful girl be friends with me?

At the time, I didn't ponder it so much. I chalked it up to luck. Years went by and we would see each other in classes, after school (She played basketball and ran track. I ran cross country and track.), share gossip and family dramas, and eventually graduate high school. Over the years we'd tell everyone who would listen that one day we'd run for the country's highest offices - President and Vice President....I think I claimed President and she claimed VP. Even then I was a bit ego driven.

Time passed and we did the things we planned and things we didn't - going to college, working wonderful and not-so-wonderful jobs, having children, and marrying. Come 2005 we still see each other from time to time (sometimes months and years pass, but it never seems to bother us), to catch up and support one another.

Tragedy and triumph bring us together from time to time. We sit, talk, eat while we we watch our children play. Who would have ever guessed? Not me, that is for sure.

The funny thing about friends is that I always find that they are hard to come by, but somehow they seem to sneek up on me. Good people find their ways into my life and I always feel lucky to know them and hope that I will be there when they need me.

Today I am sending out props to my sister-friends that have come to stand-by me: Reina, Tammy, Rina, Hoa, Ines, Gina, Phaedra, Carmelita and Marie. Thanks, ladies.