Thoughts of a Chicana Feminist

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Response to WigDawg's Blog Post on Retinue

I ranked 18....but, hell, I'll take it. Simply because...

I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a child, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell, I'm your dream
I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way


and yet I still managed to make the list. I put together a list, but not quite as exhaustive or interesting as WigDawg's.

Xicanista's Retinue

  1. My ever amazing daughter that makes me a better momma every day

  2. All of my bad-ass friends that have become family - Sam, Momma Duck, the Slowski's, my homies J and R, and the steadfast Piggy Petunia

  3. Profesora Adaljiza Sosa-Riddell

  4. The many women that have (knowingly and unknowingly) shaped my feminism - Ines Casillas (friend and profesora), Amy Dean, Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins, Ana Castillo, N.O.W. members, 9to5'ers, Cathy Deppe, Janel Martinez, Karen Martinez, Ellen Spertus, Kimberly Blessing, and my sister

  5. Objects: my autographed copy of Massacre of the Dreamers,
    my home where I find peace and safety in the midnight hours of complete stillness and quiet, my cel phone, jeans

  6. WigDawg

  7. The many people that bring reflection and laughter to my life....they know who they are.


WigDawg on Retinue: I'm no king, no prince, no royal. Still, I've got a retinue and they are there daily, at my side, within me, guiding.

Amen, my brotha'.