Thoughts of a Chicana Feminist

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Before I Die - or in the next 5 to 10 years

In the past year or so, I've really backed down for being driven by my internal need to always have a five-year plan. I was beginning to feel a bit sufficated by the rigidity of *always* knowing when, where and why I was going to be doing something.

I think it has been good for me. Most days I find myself living more in the moment, rather than constantly anticipating what is to come. It has brought me calm that I've never had before.

All that being said, I was driving home after work yesterday when I started day dreaming about the things I would like to do before I die - or more likely in the next 5 to 10 years. Maybe I am just going back to an old habit by writing this list. Maybe not. Regardless, I have a blog so I feel compelled to share.

In no particular order, I want to:

  • travel to Mexico City, Spain, and France to experience the cultures and not just say I've been there.

  • become "fully" fluent in Spanish. I want to be able to hold a conversation at the Berryessa Flea market and do business en espanol.

  • I want to publish a variety of articles on women's relationship with technology in feminist and women's magazines.

  • write political theory of that rivals that of Aristotle and Marx.

  • figure out how to finance the many software tools and projects I've imagined for community organizing - Equivalent, The Laptop Brigade, a macro-level visual representation of the relationships amongst abusers and the abused, electronic career dolls, and a million other things I've jotted on a variety of scraps of paper sitting on my desk.

  • buy a "country" home to escape the chaos for a one or three months at a time

  • take dance, voice or art lessons.

  • paint my car purple and have orange flames air brushed up the sides.

  • have enough money to visit Marie once a year.