Thoughts of a Chicana Feminist

Friday, October 21, 2005

Cantinfleando


Last night my kid-o and I headed out to the Mexican Heritage Plaza to see !Cantinflas!, a play about Mario Moreno Reyes, a highly acclaimed Mexican comedian I had never heard of. His stage name was "Cantinflas." It is a made up word derived from the word cantina ("bar" in English). Early audiences thought he was drunk on stage and the name stuck. Some of his movies are available through Netflix. For non-Spanish speakers you can check him out in the classic version (not the Jackie Chan version) of Around the World in 80 Days.

Anyway, it was great to see some Chicano theater. It was entertaining and a great history lesson. I am getting a membership to Teatro Vision for Amaya and I. They have two more plays this season - Electricidad and The Cook. I guess this is one more thing I should add to my "before I die/in the next 5-10 years" list - enjoy and support Chicana/o art.