Thoughts of a Chicana Feminist

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Cesar Chavez

I hope I'm not losing too many Chicana points by blogging on Senor Chavez so many days past his official day of celebration in California. I've been (happily) wicked busy with work and haven't taken the time to honor his memory.

I could refer you to my reference of choice on the web - Wikipedia to tell about who we was..and I will...go check it out.

My guess is that what Cesar Chavez means to me is a more interesting thing to blog about. I don't have a coherent theme on the topic of Cesar Chavez so I'll do what comes naturally in my web ways - an unorded list:


  • Cesar Chavez lived in San Jose when he began his social justice work. I am a San Jose native, so I feel a sense of familial pride beyond the "Mexican connection" we share.

  • Cesar Chavez empowered workers. The work of Cesar Chavez has reinforced (or perhaps shaped) my belief that all work is valuable, all workers should be equally respected and fairly compensated.

  • It is my impression, and folklore, that Senor Chavez was a humble man. In a valley of greed and arrogance, I am reminded that it doesn't have to be this way.



Gracias a dios for Cesar Chavez. I hope my work honors his memory. !Que viva Cesar!